Swazi Internet
So, our postings have been a little sparce this past couple weeks. Internet in Swaziland is a bit of a challenge. At first we were so excited to see that a new internet cafe had opened across from the hospital. We bought 500 minutes and thought that would last us our entire trip. Then we began to use it. It's been so long since I've used dial up in the states that I think I forgot just how slow it is. So, the average time for checking an e-mail is about 30 minutes. Blogs are especially slow.
Last week we faced yet another challenge. When we went across the street to our trusty internet cafe, we were informed that it was not working today. Morgan, the owner, promised us that the problem would be fixed tomorrow. "Tomorrow," he says, "tomorrow. I will have it all sorted out." Several tomorrows later, he finally told us that there was a problem with a bill he did not pay. It is a new business, and he is having trouble getting started. He has applied for a loan, and the problem will be sorted out soon-- Monday at the latest. Monday, there is still a problem. He is now saying maybe next week. I'm thinking that we are 400Rand down the drain.
The good news is that we have found the other iternet cafe downtown. It is less than half the price of the other. We will post more soon.
Thanks for all your support!
Last week we faced yet another challenge. When we went across the street to our trusty internet cafe, we were informed that it was not working today. Morgan, the owner, promised us that the problem would be fixed tomorrow. "Tomorrow," he says, "tomorrow. I will have it all sorted out." Several tomorrows later, he finally told us that there was a problem with a bill he did not pay. It is a new business, and he is having trouble getting started. He has applied for a loan, and the problem will be sorted out soon-- Monday at the latest. Monday, there is still a problem. He is now saying maybe next week. I'm thinking that we are 400Rand down the drain.
The good news is that we have found the other iternet cafe downtown. It is less than half the price of the other. We will post more soon.
Thanks for all your support!

2 Comments:
Glad to hear from you. We were all wondering....never considered that the internet bill hadn't been paid. Figured you were both out celebrating your first year.
Miss you.
Mom
There's no problems with Lisa's memory of dialup... it's actually faster in the US because there you don't need to deal with latency and connections timing out. I've seen 2400 baud connections faster than this ISDN!
Post a Comment
<< Home