Traditional Healers
It is another busy day after a long holiday weekend. I round this morning with Dr. Kinsala. We see the usual conditions for the children’s ward—diarrhea and pneumonia. Thankfully no one is in serious condition today. He points out scars on several babies. Some have then flaring out from their belly button. Others have them in a horizontal line across their chest. He says these are signs that the child has been taken to a traditional healer. He is concerned about the sanitation of the practices. They are most likely spreading disease. He says it is a major problem in the area. The traditional healers often give herbal medicines that may be helpful, but the mothers often continue to give them until the child experiences toxicity. Many present with kidney or liver failure secondary to overdose of traditional medicine. It is yet another challenge to health of the area, and the mothers often deny or lie about their involvement. The mother that is listening to our conversation was one who had used the traditional healer. She agrees yes it is a problem. She blames their use on the child’s father. Dr. Kinsala tells her she’s lying and she does not argue.

2 Comments:
Hello my children!
I have been anxiously awaiting your latest blog. Clinton, I love your account of dashing through the parking lot. I can just picture you two... gave me a good laugh. Just wanted to make sure that I told you both "Happy Anniversary!" Enjoy yourselves and celebrate.
Love to you both,
Mom.
this is an interesting bit about traditional healers. makes you question that v. modern medicine. and staring at candles? i hope all is well. happy one year! we miss you guys.
Post a Comment
<< Home